Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus
Kalkanli, Guzelyurt, TRNC, Mersin 10, Turkey
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering (2010 – 2014)
The University of Texas at Austin – Austin, TX, USA
Field of Study: Thermal / Fluids Sciences
Thesis Title: Synthesis Gas Production using Non-Thermal Plasma Reactors
Supervisor: Dr. Halil Berberoglu
Graduated on: August 2014
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (2007 – 2010)
Middle East Technical University – Ankara, Turkey
Thesis Title: Numerical Modeling and Performance Analysis of Solar-Powered Ideal Adsorption Cooling Systems
Thesis Topic: Developing various adsorption cycle models in MATLAB and running steady and seasonal transient simulations with solar system integrated adsorption cycle models in TRNSYS to investigate the effects of cycle enhancements (through heat and mass recovery, thermal wave, etc.), working pair choice, operation conditions, etc. on performance of integrated system and adsorption cycle
Supervisors: Dr. Derek K. Baker and Dr. Bilgin Kaftanoglu
Graduated on: May 2010
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (2003 – 2007)
Middle East Technical University – Ankara, Turkey
Field of Study: Thermo-Fluid Sciences and Energy
CGPA: 3.20/4.00, ranked in top 13.5%
Graduated on: June 2007
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H. (2013), “Fuel Production Using Concentrated Solar Energy”, in The Applications of Solar Energy, Editor: Rugescu R. InTech: ISBN 980-953-307-937-5.
- Al-Ghussain L., Taylan O., Fahrioglu M. (2018), “Sizing of a Photovoltaic-Wind-Oil Shale Hybrid System: Case Analysis in Jordan”, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 140, p. 011002.
- Okoye C.O., Taylan O. (2017), “Performance Analysis of a Solar Chimney Power Plant for Rural Areas in Nigeria”, Renewable Energy, 104, pp. 96-108.
- Okoye C.O., Solyali O., Taylan O. (2016), “A New Economic Feasibility Approach for Solar Chimney Power Plant Design”, Energy Conversion and Management, 126, pp. 1013-1027.
- Okoye C.O., Taylan O., Baker D.K. (2016), “Solar Energy Potentials in Strategically Located Cities in Nigeria: Review, Resource Assessment and PV System Design”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 55(1), pp. 550-566.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H. (2015), “Dissociation of carbon dioxide using a microhollow cathode discharge plasma reactor: effects of applied voltage, flow rate and concentration”, Plasma Sources Science and Technology, 24(1), p. 015006.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H. (2014), “Electrical Characterization and an Equivalent Circuit Model of a Microhollow Cathode Discharge Reactor”, Journal of Applied Physics, 116(4), p. 043302.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H. (2013), “Thermal Radiation Transport in a Fluidized Dry Water System”, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, 120(1), pp. 104-113.
- Taylan O., Baker D. K., Kaftanoglu B. (2012), “COP Trends for Ideal Thermal Wave Adsorption Cooling Cycles with Enhancements”, International Journal of Refrigeration, 35(3), pp. 562-570.
- Taylan O., Baker D. K., Kaftanoglu B. (2011), “Normalized Thermodynamic Model for Intermittent Energy Systems and Application to Solar-Powered Adsorption Cooling Systems”, International Journal of Thermodynamics, 14(3), pp.107-115.
International Conference Papers
- Samu R., Fahrioglu M., Taylan O., “Feasibility Study of a Grid Connected Hybrid PV-Wind Power Plant in Gwanda, Zimbabwe,” HONET-ICT International Symposium 2016, Haspolat, Nicosia, Northern Cyprus, October 13-14, 2016, (33).
- Sadati S.M.S., Jahani E., Taylan O., “Technical and Economic Analyses for Sizing PV Power Plant With Storage System for METU NCC,” ASME IMECE 2015 (International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition), Houston, TX, USA, November 13-19, 2015, IMECE2015-50959.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H., “Dissociation of Carbon Dioxide Using a Microhollow Cathode Discharge Reactor”, ASME IMECE 2013 (International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition), San Diego, CA, USA, November 15-21, 2013, IMECE2013-64632.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H., “Modeling of a Microhollow Cathode Discharge Reactor for Carbon Dioxide Dissociation”, ASME IMECE 2013 (International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition), San Diego, CA, USA, November 15-21, 2013, IMECE2013-64637.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H., “Dissociation of Carbon Dioxide Using a Non-Thermal Plasma Reactor”, ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference 2013, Minneapolis, MN, USA, July 14-19, 2013, HT2013-17559.
- Taylan O., Murphy T.E., Berberoglu H., “Light Transport Analysis of Smart Windows for Solar Energy Harvesting,” 7th International Symposium on Radiative Transfer, Kusadasi, Turkey, June 2-8, 2013.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H., “Thermal Radiation Transport in a Cloud of Dry Water Particles”, the ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference 2012, Puerto Rico, USA, July 8-12, 2012, HT2012-58416.
- Taylan O., Berberoglu H., “Rheological Properties of Dry Water”, the ASME IMECE 2011 (International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition), Denver, CO, USA, November 11-17, 2011, IMECE2011-64114.
- Taylan O., Baker D. K., Kaftanoglu B., “Adsorbent – Refrigerant Comparison for a Solar Powered Adsorption Cooling System using Seasonal Simulations”, the 10th REHVA (the Federation of European Heating and Air Conditioning Associations) World Congress (Clima 2010), Antalya, Turkey, May 9-12, 2010.
- Taylan O., Baker D. K., Kaftanoglu B., “Parametric Study and Seasonal Simulations of a Solar Powered Adsorption Cooling System”, the 22nd International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems (ECOS 2009), pp. 833-842, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, August 30-September 3, 2009.
- Campus Research Fund (BAP-16-YG-3), Principal Investigator, “Modeling of CO2 dissociation using solar pond”, 2016-2018, 44K TL.
- 9 years of experience in teaching for various courses in thermal-fluid sciences
- 3 years of experimental experience in spectrophotoscopy and potentiometry
- 3 years of experience in numerical analysis using MATLAB for modeling adsorption beds for cooling systems
- 2 years of experience in numerical methods using FORTRAN for solving the Radiative Transport Equation
- 2 year of experience in finite element analysis using COMSOL
- 1.5 years of experience in numerical methods using FORTRAN for solving the Radiative Transport Equation
- 6 months of experience in managing electric fields in dielectric barrier discharge plasma reactors
- 6 months of experience in radiation heat transfer through Monte Carlo method
- 6 months of experience in numerical modeling for thermo- and exergo-economic analysis of engineering systems
- 6 months of experience in performance analysis of polymer exchange membrane fuel cell
Awards & Honors
- Graduate Engineering Council Conference Grant (Fall 2013)
- Professional Development Award – Office of Graduate Studies (Fall 2013 & Summer 2013)
- National Science Foundation Award for ASME Heat Transfer Division Workshop (Summer 2013)
- Dean’s High Honor Certificate (Spring 2007 & Fall 2006)
- Dean’s Honor Certificate (Fall 2003, Spring 2004, Fall 2005, Spring 2006)
- 1804th rank, top 0.75%, in mathematics-science branch in university entrance examination among approximately 1.5 million candidates (June 2003)
Areas of Interest
- Absorption / Adsorption Cooling Systems
- Building Energy Systems
- Energy Analyses / Simulations of Engineering Systems
- Engineering Economy
- Heating and Air-Conditioning Systems
- Plasma Reforming and Plasma Technologies
- Radiation Heat Transfer
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Conversion Systems
- Solar Energy Utilization
- Sustainable Technologies
Member of the Professional Organizations and Committees
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Member (2014 – Present)
- ASME K-6 Heat Transfer in Energy Systems, Committee Member (2013 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Student Member (2010 – 2014)
Technical Session Chair in Conferences
- Chair of a technical session, “Solar Thermal and Cooling Systems,” in ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, San Diego, CA, USA, November 15-21, 2013.
- Chair of a technical session, “Heat Transfer in Solar Energy Systems,” in ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Minneapolis, MN, July 14-19, 2013.
- Co-chaired a session in a technical session, “Radiation in Energy Systems,” in ASME International Mechanical Congress and Exposition, Houston, TX, November 9-15, 2012.
Reviewer for Journals and Conferences
- Applied Energy
- ASME Journal of Heat Transfer
- Energy Conversion and Management
- Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy
- Journal of Energy Engineering
- Journal of Heat Transfer
- Journal of Solar Energy Engineering
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews
- ASME International Mechanical Congress and Exposition
- ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference
- Turkish Solar Electricity Conference and Exhibition (SolarTR)
Thesis Committee Member
- Nafi Cabacaba, “Experimental Analysis of Soiling Effect on String Type PV systems,” Ph.D. Student, Supervisors: Dr. Serkan Abbasoğlu, Cyprus International University, 2015-Current.
- Kathy M. Kiema, “Technical and Economic Feasibility of Large Scale Concentrating Solar Power Deployment in Kenya,” M.Sc. Thesis, Supervisor: Dr. Murat Fahrioglu, Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus, August 2017.
- Syed Muhammad Hassan Ali, “Optimal Photovoltaic Size Estimation for a Campus Area Considering Uncertainties in Load, Power Generation and Electricity Rates,” M.Sc. Thesis, Supervisors: Dr. Yasemin Merzifonluoglu Uzgoren, Dr. Eray Uzgoren, Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus, June 2015.
- Daniel Pinero, “Electro Degradation in Micro-Hollow Cathode Discharge Reactors,” M.Sc. Thesis, Supervisor: Dr. Halil Berberoglu, The University of Texas at Austin, May 2015.
Scientific Committee Member and University Service
- 2017-2021 Strategic Planning Physical Resources Committee Coordinator, Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus (2016 – Present)
- 2017-2021 Strategic Planning International Relations Committee Member, Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus (2016 – Present)
- SEES Graduate Program Committee Member, Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus (2016 – Present)
- Laboratory Commission Member, Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus (2016 – Present)
- Green Campus Initiative, Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus (2015 – Present)
- Turkish Solar Electricity Conference and Exhibition 2015 (SolarTR-3), Ankara, Turkey, April 27-29, 2015.
Teaching Assistant at The University of Texas at Austin
September 2010 – December 2013
- Assisted Courses:
- ME 139L – Heat Transfer Laboratory (Spring 2013)
- ME 326 – Thermodynamics (Fall 2010 & Spring 2012)
- ME 343 – Thermal/Fluid Systems (Spring 2011 & Fall 2011, 2012, 2013)
A graduate student to install a weather station, monitor solar radiation and integrate power produced from photovoltaic solar cells and wind turbine into the electricity grid
Teaching Assistant at Middle East Technical University
September 2007 – August 2010
- Assisted Courses:
- ME 200 – Mechanical Engineering Orientation (Fall 2008 & 2009, Coordinator Assistant of Thermo-Fluid Branch in Fall 2009)
- ME 203 – Thermodynamics I (Fall 2007 & 2008, Spring 2009)
- ME 204 – Thermodynamics II (Spring 2008)
- ME 311 – Heat Transfer (Fall 2007 & 2009, Coordinator Assistant in Fall 2009)
- ME 351 – Thermodynamics of Heat Power (Fall 2009 & Spring 2010)
- ME 476 – Second Law Analysis of Engineering Systems (Spring 2008, 2009 & 2010)
- ME 478 – Introduction to Solar Energy Utilization (Spring 2008)
- ME 490 – Fuel Cell Fundamentals (Fall 2008)
A fourth year undergraduate student to develop and transform numerical codes for cooling systems
Online Administrator in International Journal of Thermodynamics (IJoT)
May 2010 – September 2014
- Published quarterly by the International Centre for Applied Thermodynamics
Editor-in-Chief: Dr. Yasar Demirel (University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA)
Past Editor-in-Chief: Dr. Michael von Spakovsky (Virginia Tech., USA)
- Maintaining a new online paper submission system
- Managing the journal’s website
Administrative Assistant in International Journal of Thermodynamics (IJoT)
September 2008 – May 2010
- Published quarterly by the International Centre for Applied Thermodynamics, Editor-in-Chief: Dr. Michael von Spakovsky (Virginia Tech., USA)
- Implementing a new online paper submission system
- Managing the journal’s website
- Preparation and maintaining of authors and keywords databases
- Assisted the Editorial Board meeting during ECOS 2009 conference in Brazil
- Analyses of article formatting standards for the journal’s new format
- Preparation, distribution and analyses of “areas of expertise survey” for potential reviewers
Research Assistant at Middle East Technical University
September 2007 – January 2009
- “Solar Powered Adsorption Cooling System” funded by the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey
- Monte Carlo Code Development for 3-D Geometries to Calculate Heat Loss through Radiation (Spring 2009)
- Effects of Adsorbents as Roughness Elements to Viscous Flow in an Adsorbent Bed (Spring 2008)
- Design of a Self-Assembling Living Quarter (Spring 2007)
- Thermodynamic Model of a Gas Turbine (Spring 2007)
- Feasibility Study of a Firm in Commercial Yacht Tourism Sector (Spring 2007)
- Heating Requirement and Heater Selection of a Building (Fall 2006)
- Performance Analysis of Polymer Exchange Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Storage for a Car (Fall 2006)
- Gearbox Design and Bearing Selection (Spring 2006)
- Design of Bolted and Welded Joints (Fall 2005)
- Design of a Telescopic Boom Mini Crane (Fall 2005)
- .NET Languages (C, C++) → Intermediate
- Adobe Dreamweaver → Advanced
- Adobe LiveCycle Designer → Expert
- CadKey, KeyCreator → Advanced
- COMSOL → Advanced
- Internet Tools → Expert
- Mathcad → Expert
- Mathematica → Advanced
- MATLAB → Advanced
- Microsoft Office Applications → Expert
- LaTeX → Advanced
- TRNSYS → Advanced
- Turkish → Excellent level in reading, writing and speaking (native)
- English → Good command in reading and writing, fluent in speaking
- Spanish → Beginner
- German → Beginner
Turkish Aerospace Industries, Inc. – Ankara, Turkey
August – September 2006
- Design and Engineering Directorate – Product Integrity Division
- Analyses of organizational structure and workflow of a multi-task company
ASELSAN Electronic Industries, Inc. – Ankara, Turkey
June – July 2005
- Mechanical Design Directorate – Mechanical Prototype Workshop
- Investigating manufacturing, quality control and after-sales service of products
- Loiy Al-Ghussain (MSc 2017, METU NCC SEES). Effects of Short and Long Term Storage Systems on Size Determination of Renewable Energy Systems in Micro-Grids. Adviser: Onur Taylan, Co-Adviser: Prof. Dr. Derek K. Baker.
- Fahad Haneef (MSc 2017, METU NCC SEES). Wind Resource Characterization and Utilization via Wind Turbines at METU-NCC. Adviser: Onur Taylan.
- Humayun Ahmed (MSc 2017, METU NCC SEES). Modeling and Design of a Non-Thermal Plasma Reactor for CO2 Dissociation. Adviser: Onur Taylan.
- S. M. Sajed Sadati (MSc 2016, METU NCC SEES). Assessment of Renewable Energy Based Micro-Grids for Small Communities. Adviser: Onur Taylan.
- Kemal Masera (MSc 2016, METU NCC SEES). Thermodynamic Analysis of Plasma-Assisted Reforming of Methane. Adviser: Onur Taylan.
- Chiemeka Onyeka Okoye (MSc 2016, METU NCC SEES). A Two Stage Feasibility Approach for Solar Chimney Power Plant Design. Adviser: Onur Taylan.
- Genco Kavas – Fall 2017-Current
- Erim Gürer – Fall 2017-Current, Co-Adviser: Asst. Prof. Dr. Tuğçe Yüksel Bediz
- Pelin Güven – Spring 2016-Current, Co-Adviser: Asst. Prof. Dr. Mehdi Torkmahalleh